Games, Simulations, and Virtual Worlds for Learning
Week 1: Why Games for Learning
Learning content vs. systems, projected identity, learning by/through design, theory of fun
- Chen. Leet noobs (pp. 1-10).
- Chen. A statement on games and expert gaming and the tl;dr version. [blog posts]
- Floyd. Video games and learning.
- Gee. Learning and identity: What does it mean to be a half-elf? What video games have to teach us about learning and literacy (pp. 51-71).
- Resnick. Computer as paint brush.
- Squire. From content to context.
- Koster. A theory of fun for game design.
- Set up Guild Wars 2 account and guild.
- Create a Steam account.
- Browse the Hot List on Board Game Geek. Read reviews.
- Introduce yourself and gaming history in the forums.
- Half the class writes reviews or synopses of readings and/or games. The other half responds.
- Think of a tabletop game idea that addresses an area of interest for you and write a one-paragraph pitch.